What is Meta Science?
Meta Science is the science of science. It attempts to “use quantifiable scientific methodologies to elucidate how current scientific practices influence the veracity of scientific conclusions” (Schooler, cite).
Meta Science researchers aim to scientifically study the scientific system, to identify weaknesses and strengths, and empirically test potential solutions for the weaknesses and practices to leverage and promote strengths.
My aim and scope
I aim to leverage the open-science work that I do with the mass replications and extensions project team and our meta-analyses team to try and gain meta-science insights. We mostly focus on psychology, and sometimes more specifically on judgment and decision making, though meta-science often takes us to new frontiers that has implications for science overall.
Meta Science Projects
Partial list of current meta-science directions:
- Development and testing of templates for conducing open-science.
- Development and testing of tools for conducing open-science.
- Aggregation of findings and meta-insights from large-scale mass collaboration projects (replications and extensions, meta-analyses).
- Prediction markets of replicability.
Videos on Meta Science
- Ioannidis, J. P. (2018). Meta-research: Why research on research matters. PLoS biology, 16(3), e2005468.
- Ioannidis, JP, Fanelli, D., Dunne, DD, & Goodman, SN (2015). Meta-research: evaluation and improvement of research methods and practices. PLoS Biol , 13 (10), e1002264.
- Hardwicke, T. E., Serghiou, S., Janiaud, P., Danchev, V., Crüwell, S., Goodman, S. N., & Ioannidis, J. P. (2020). Calibrating the scientific ecosystem through meta-research. Annual Review of Statistics and Its Application, 7, 11-37.
Meta Science centers in psychology
Some centers I’m familiar with whose work I track:
- MetaMelB at The University of Melbourne, Australia
- Tilburg University Meta-Research Center
- UCMeta at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Meta-research Innovation Center at Stanford
(see continuously updated full list on Wikipedia)